Friday, April 28, 2006

back to the past

Today I went to help dad deliver some beach umbrellas and stone stands. As we shuttled from industrial estate to industrial estate, my father laments to me about how bad the economy is and how the government isn't really helping.

As I stared out at the changing scenery, his words materialise before me. Indeed, stretch after stretch of warehouses stood vacant and empty. With an occasional surviving unit scattered here and there.

We stopped at the unit of our stone stand supplier, a lone rundown storehouse smack inthe middle of an entirely empty row of storehouses. Dad disappeared into the office as I sat in the van waiting.

There I sat, staring at the foreign workers toiling in the sweltering heat. I looked into their strained faces as they glanced pass mine. Ignoring my presence. I wonder what goes on in their minds as they labour on. A life so different. Are they looking forward to knocking off? Do they have families to return to? What has kept them struggling on..

I guess deep down, we all just want to make a living. With someything to look forward to.

We reached Temasek LifeScience Laboratories sometime later to deliver the goods. My father was quite surprised that I actually know and greeted some of the researchers there. I had my ITP there. One of the guys quite surprised to see me, asked me what am I doing here. I introduced him my dad, and explained that im helping him deliver some stuff.

Me: "Is Derong still working here?" (Derong was my mentor)
Researcher: "oh yes he is! wanna come and visit us?"
Me: "(smiles) perhaps later..."

But of cos.. I know I wont. I know i'll be heading somewhere else after this. Yet.. im still wondering, would I have wished to stay..

Last time I was the one on the other side, don in labcoats and scuttling into dark corridors. Now im on this side, in my 3 quarters and sweaty t-shirt. Life in perspective eh?

On the way back home, we passed by my 1st primary school. Jin Tai Primary.

Dad: "has it changed much?"
Me: "not really, new coat of paint, renovations.."
Dad: "would you still recognise the friends you made from here?
Me: ".. I don't think we'll recognise each other.. people change.."
Dad: "I wonder where are they now.."
Me: "me too.."

I remember their faces..

No comments: